Tuesday, July 28, 2009

homemade laundry soap

Please Note: this post is supposed to have pictures. I can not get them to load from my file onto blogger. Because this post was promised a couple of days ago, I am posting without pictures. I will come back and add them later.

Here it is....
Gather your supplies:
2 cups Baking Soda
2 cups Washing Soda (sold in grocery stores on the laundy soap aisle)
1/2 cup liquid castile soap (I use a very concentrated tea tree oil soap, but the recipe will work nicely with Bronner's liquid castile)
1 cup white vinegar

The above order is exactly how I place in my mixer.

I put baking soda and washing soda in mixer and turn on low. You will create a small chemical cloud, do NOT breathe it in.
Next, add the soap slowly and mix until blended.
Add vinegar slowly, so it bubbles only slightly.
As most home-schooling mothers know, vinegar and baking soda makes a nice volcano.

When it is mixed, the consistancy will be anything from pastey to mashed potatoes.

I can tell you from experience, know matter what you end up with, you will be able to use it. No waste here. I have used mine, when I did not blend the powders together well and had pebbles; to this time which is too wet, and still I always use what I have made.

Once mixed, allow to dry a little. At this point it wil be all in one clump. I use a pastry cutter and crumble it up. You could also use a fork, wooden spoon, your hand, whatever you want.

Place in glass jar for storage.
I use 2 Tablespoons for a front load washing machine, my mom uses 3 Tablespoons for a top load washer. We both have very soft water, I am sure if you have hard water you would need more.

I hope you enjoy your soap, and the money you save by making your own.
Please come back and share any tips you have, and how much you use for your washer.
~Jarnette, I am sorry this post took so long.~

1 comment:

Season of Life said...

Yippee! Thanks for posting the recipe, Lisa. I have another one (liquid form) that I am going to try, too. I'll let you know how it turns out. I know with yours it was like the powder detergents from the store - except without all the 'bad' stuff. Thanks again! Makes doing laundry a little easier knowing the money savings of the detergent! :-)