Thursday, February 19, 2009

laundry and thinking

Today I informed the girls from now on they will be doing their own laundry. They responded with "yeah", that won't last long, and they are more than capable.

The boys have been doing their own laundry for years but, for some reason, I am still not ready to give up this girl laundry. I beleive the boy laundry was handed over simply because I could not manage the enourmous mountain without a constant state of overwhelm, not because I did not like doing it.

Laundry is one of the chores I find quite satisfying. It takes a couple of days for a load to pile up, unlike dishes that make it only a couple of hours. Clean laundry smells fresh, comes out stain free (most of the time), and reminds me of the one who wears the particular item.
I enjoy the simplicity of the chore, it allows time for, in the words of Pooh, "a thoughtful spot".

So...while doing the laundry today, more than a few things were swirling around in my head.
These included and were not limited to:
What are the specifics of this bread class I am about to teach?
When will I have time to read more of the book I am in?
Can I finish my sock before the next knitting club?
Should we be visiting colleges?
What is the real state of our country?
Will this humongus project at work get done on time?
I am thankful for all of these wonderful things to contemplate and laundry in the sunshine.
I am thankful for a quiet activity and time to think.
Love what you do and do what you love.(someone besides me said this)

No comments: